Alpha Upsilon/Delta Upsilon Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Chapter - Points of History
1. Alpha Upsilon Fraternity was founded May 16, 1955, under the principles and ideals of Delta Upsilon. The fraternity was founded by Robert E. Bonson, who was affiliated with the Delta Upsilon Fraternity at the University of Iowa (Iowa City).
2. The Constitution was accepted on November 22, 1955, along with the fraternity colors.
3. Charter membership was closed with fifteen (15) men on November 30, 1955.
4. Active and pledge pins were chosen by the membership on January 11, 1956.
5. The Fraternity prayer was accepted on January 17, 1956. Also on this date, Honorary membership was bestowed upon: Roy Harris (Faculty Advisor), Everett M. Chandler, Dan Lawson, and Eugene Brendlin (Faculty Supporters). These men were to become Honorary members upon recognition of the fraternity by the college.
6. The first pledge class was pinned February 8, 1956.
7. The Constitution was accepted by S.A.C. as the first recognized fraternity at Cal Poly on February 14, 1956.
8. The Garden Street House lease was signed in March of 1956.
9. On March 28, 1956, Julian A. McPhee, President of Cal Poly, vetoed S.A.C.'s acceptance of Alpha Upsilon. He offered a deal which stated that if the Greek letters were dropped, Alpha Upsilon would be accepted; that offer was declined by the Chapter.
10. August 1969, Alpha Upsilon petitioned to become a member of Delta Upsilon International.
11. On May 2, 1970, Alpha Upsilon was installed as a Delta Upsilon chapter.
12. August 1970, Delta Upsilon, Cal Poly chapter, was represented for the first time at the Delta Upsilon National Convention.
13. January 23, 1971, the first Delta Upsilon pledge class was initiated.
14. October 11, 1971, Delta Upsilon was recognized by S.A.C. as an on-campus group with full campus privileges.
15. On October 22, 1973, Delta Upsilon, Cal Poly chapter, voted to drop the International affiliation and once again become Alpha Upsilon Fraternity.
16. September 15, 1975, the Palm Street House was bought.
17. On May 28, 1980, Alpha Upsilon Fraternity was granted its Use Permit (UPO852) from the San Luis Obispo Planning Commission.
18. Poly Royal, March 3, 1985, Actives and attending Alumni witnessed the burning of the Palm Street House Mortgage.
19. On July 28, 1988, following a two year search, Alpha Upsilon closed escrow on the 720 and 726 Foothill Blvd. House. AY Go 90.
20. The Cal Poly Colony of Delta Upsilon was founded on November 1, 1989 under the ideals and principles of Delta Upsilon.
21. On May 2, 1992, the Delta Upsilon Cal Poly Colony was installed as an International chapter.
22. On October 22, 2005, during the observance of the fiftieth anniversary of the fraternity, Actives and attending Alumni witnessed the burning of the Foothill House mortgage. This signified that the fraternity owned the 720-726 Foothill Blvd property outright.
23. On November 18, 2013, the original 720-726 Foothill Blvd property was demolished in preparation for construction of a new fraternity house on the property.
24. On February 24 2015, the new 720 Foothill Blvd. house construction contract was executed. Construction began the first week of March 2015 on the new facility.
25. On January 2, 2016, the new fraternity house at 720 Foothill Blvd was completed and actives began moving in.